Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 15:59:42 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        current@freefall.freebsd.org, darrylo@sr.hp.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: 2.2-ALPHA install failure

>> >Dedicating one drive, does not mean dedicating all drives, Microsoft's
>> >install procedures are known for there ``I want the whole world'' phylosophy
>> >and can cause people great pain if installed with on another disk in
>> >the same systems as one of the FreeBSD ``bogus'' partitioned disks.
>>
>> Surely this is only caused by a installer error?  I haven't used W95,
>> but older versions of W can be installed in any directory on any hard
>> disk and don't seem to touch other disks or directories (except for the
>> usual things in the root directory).
>
>No, this is not a user error, this is the automagic of Windows 95 and
>the design of the Microsoft installation tools.  If it finds unclaimed
>disk space per the MBR it will claim it, fdisk it, and format it for
>you, all without asking you if it is okay to do this.  This may have
>been fixed in Win95/SR2.

Bust surely it only installs on the drive(s) that you tell it to?

>I have shipped 100's of systems with ``dedicated disks'' and every single
>one of them had a valid MBR as far as start and size.  Every OS I have
>seen and worked with obey these two parameters, infact they favor them
>over the start CHS, end CHS.  I am not so concerned about bogus C/H/S
>values in the MBR as I am about start/size values.

Except W95.  It doesn't honor the start and size parameters.  A start of 0
places the MBR inside the slice.  This should prevent all OS's except the
one in the slice from modifying the MBR.  A size of 1 should work just as
well as a size of 50000.  I don't know of any fdisks that actually honor
a 0 start.  This shows that a 0 start is invalid.

Bruce