Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 16:25:38 +0200
From:      "Ari Suutari" <ari@suutari.iki.fi>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: filtering ipsec traffic (fwd)

Hi,

> So far, just one limitation comes to mind, which is that the packet
> filters cannot discriminate between a naturally non-IPsec packet, and a
> non-IPsec packet which 'was' or 'will be' an IPsec one.  I don't think
> this is a big problem though.

    But what if we are running in IPsec tunnel mode ? For example, I could
use
    an IPsec tunnel to connect two 192.168.x.x networks together. In such
setup,
    I would allow IPsec packets between tunnel endpoints and packets between
    192.168.x.x networks but *only* if they are coming from the tunnel. Last
time I tried
    that adding on 'ipfw pass any from 192.168.x.x .....' also allowed
non-ipsec traffic
    between these nodes. This is a security hole, which allows someone to
    send packets with spoofed source address to your system.

      Ari S.
--
Ari Suutari <ari@suutari.iki.fi>
Lemi, Finland