Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 21:46:27 -0600 (CST)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov>
To:        Gustavo Vieira G C Rios <grios@netshell.vicosa.com.br>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sound, SB

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Gustavo Vieira G C Rios wrote:

> Hi! i am trying to config my system to get my sound card working,
> without success.
>
> here you got my kernel config file (relevant part only)
>
> controller	pnp0
> device 		pcm0	at isa? port? tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15 vector pcmintr
>
> is there any problem above ?
>
> My pnp:
>
> pnp 1 0 os enable irq0 5 drq0 1 drq1 5 port0 0x220

If you want the sound card to be probed directly instead of attached by
the PnP probing (the dmesg output you sent in another message indicated
the card was being found by pcm's PnP code as pcm1), you would probably
need to change "port?" in the device line to "port 0x220" to match the
port you are assigning to the card in your pnp configuration line.

> When i type:
> cd /dev
> ../MAKEDEV dsp0
>
> i get this:
> unknown device, what is going on here.

You should probably use

cd /dev
sh MAKEDEV snd0

if pcm0 attaches, or perhaps

sh MAKEDEV snd1

if pcm1 attaches the card.  See also /sys/i386/isa/snd/README for
the symbolic links you may want to setup.

HTH,
Guy

Guy Helmer, Graduate Student, Iowa State University Dept. of Computer Science
Research Assistant, Ames Laboratory       ---         ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov
Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science   ---   ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer