Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 2003 18:36:31 -0600
From:      "Frank Li" <frank19991@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Increase memory limit ?

The situation is as follows:

Physical memory is 128M, OS is FreeBSD 4.4.
My C++ simulation code mallocs large amount of memory. When running, I found
"top" shows SIZE is 514M, RES is 176M.  Then the code dumpped a core.  The
code itself should have no problem.  It's not complicated and it runs very
well when running shorter.

Top shows:
Mem: 180M Active, 21M Inact, 32M Wired, 13M Cache, 35M Buf, 656K Free
Abort trap - core dumped
. PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
66351 dxu -22   0   514M   127M swread   0:11 36.96% 27.39% simulation

limit shows:
cputime         unlimited
filesize        unlimited
datasize        524288 kbytes
stacksize       65536 kbytes
coredumpsize    unlimited
memoryuse       unlimited
descriptors     1064
memorylocked    unlimited
maxproc         531

I tried to increase the above limits but failed. They seem to be already the
maximum.

Should I add more physical memory (if so should I reinstll OS)?

Can I just set some parameters(what?) and recompile kernel and increase
these limits ?

Thanks a lot!

Frank