Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 09:04:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      ron@cts.com
To:        dave@persprog.com
Cc:        Dave Alderman <dave@persprog.com>, Michael Beckmann <beckmann@nacamar.net>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMC Etherpower II issues

I have one of the little suckers in my hand as I type... 83C170QF. Too bad
there isn't a FreeBSD driver (and from all I have heard, one is not in the
works), my client would have bought a bunch of them (SMC - are you listening?).
FreeBSD probably is not at the same priority at SMC as gates'97, gatesNT or
even gates3.11 but if I were an aspiring network interface supplier, I think I
would have considered all the potential customers, such as those that
multi-boot systems that have both FreeBSD and gatesWare (or OS2, for that
matter). Maybe SMC's attempt to gain independence from DEC compatability and
establish their own market niche will backfire.

Ronald L. McDaniels
  Trilobyte, Inc.

"Not, not *that* Trilobyte"

E-Mail: ron@cts.com