Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 16:25:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      FreeBSD Question <question@blink.dhs.org>
To:        Kenny Drobnack <kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu>
Cc:        Doug <doemill@shocking.com>, Eric Lee Green <elgreen@iname.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ensoniq AudioPCI

Not sure if there are PNP version of Ensoniq AudioPCI(??? sounds weird,
PCI devices don't need pnp0)
but if you turn ON your bios flag "PNP OS Enabled", then probably
it will say it's detected, but LDN1 is disabled.
In that case, you edit your /boot/kernel.conf and put appropriate line
like:
pnp 1 0 os enable port0 0x123 port2 0x124 irq0 9 drq0 1 drq1 3
(dont use above line..that's an example)
Then it will be enabled.

If you have "PNP OS" to Disabled in the bios, then things will work
automatically.

As for the card problem,
IF you are using PCI devices, most likely your snd device will be pcm0
(which means you do MAKEDEV snd0)
but if you have PNP sound card, then pcm0 is there for the support, and
the kernel will attach pcm1 as the real device. (Later on, it will
complain address that pcm0 is trying to use is already used..ignore this
problem)
and this means you do MAKEDEV snd1

My Ensoniq AudioPCI worked perfectly well with this configuration, but my
card might be an old one.. I read somebody mentioned some patch to newer
cards..try that.

One more thing, DO NOT USE the lines I gave you.  I am using 4.0-CURRENT,
and had to get those line from my configuration.
Look into the LINT of your version and get them from YOUR file.
Hope that helps.

Byung