Date:      Mon, 3 Dec 2007 15:44:12 +1100
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   MD5 Collisions...

Hi everyone,

Not sure if you've read http://www.win.tue.nl/hashclash/SoftIntCodeSign/ .

should some kind of advisory be sent to advise people not to rely solely on MD5 checksums? Maybe an update to the man page is due ? :

"
MD5 has not yet (2001-09-03) been broken, but sufficient attacks have
     been made that its security is in some doubt.  The attacks on MD5 are in
     the nature of finding ``collisions'' -- that is, multiple inputs which
     hash to the same value; it is still unlikely for an attacker to be able
     to determine the exact original input given a hash value.
"

Cheers,
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

If you find a solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.