Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:26:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Scott I. Remick" <scott@sremick.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Man pages take forever on slow machine?

Ok so I got over my hurdle getting FreeBSD 5.3 installed on this old
Presario (it ended up being RAM... needed more than 16MB to get through
install, borrowed some and then could then back off to default 16MB after
5.3 was on). I thought I was on a roll until I "accidentally" tried to bring
up a man page. It has been on "Formatting page, please wait..." ever since.

I didn't pay attention to when, but I think it was at least an hour ago.
Yes, an HOUR. And I still don't have my man page.

Yes this isn't the fastest machine (I think it's a Pentium 133MHz, 16MB RAM)
but really... I ran FreeBSD 2.2.2 as a webserver on a 486 66MHz "back in the
day". I'd expect this to be slow, but... 1+ hours for a man page?

It's worse than that, though. I can't CTRL-C out. I get lots of ^C^C^C^C but
it won't stop. I can use ALT-F2 and ALT-F3 to load up additional VTTYs but
they are unresponsive... I type and nothing appears. Maybe if I come back a
LONG while later I see some of my keystrokes.

I was trying to do a good deed by recycling some old hardware my dad had and
give him a FreeBSD server to learn with. But this is bizarre. Asking for a
man page has brought this system to its knees. C'mon... it ran Windows 95. I
think we can do better than this....? It's not even going to be GUI.

Any advice? Thanks in-advance...