Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 17:02:29 -0600
From:      Ted Spradley <tsprad@set.spradley.tmi.net>
To:        "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
Cc:        Drew Derbyshire - UUPC/extended software support <software@kew.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: after the release ...

> Not everyone installs sources.  Many of my customers have brain seizures
> if I send them step-by-step instructions on how to apply a patch and type
> 'make ; make install'.
>
> I found it easier to create a pkg and tell them to do
>
> pkg_add ftp://ftp.hilink.com.au/pub/FreeBSD/sendmail-security-pkg.tgz
> (sample URL)
>
> They were quite happy with the above.

I'm mystified.  If these people are so ignorant, why do they not prefer to type 19 characters rather than 69?  Somehow they must have found out that make is a powerful programmer's tool, and pkg_add is something the all-powerful gods of computing created just to keep the uninitiated in their humble but comfortable place.

Aaah, you're right.  A binary patch that just replaces whole files is easy enough to create, why fight it.  When something has to change in a file that's custom-configured for the site, that's a consulting fee.