Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 2012 17:00:34 +0100
From:      Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks@gmail.com>
To:        Gergely CZUCZY <phoemix@harmless.hu>, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unplugging disk under ZFS yield panic

Gergely CZUCZY schreef:
> Dear List,
{snip}

> On a device removal we're expecting it to moving to the spare disk, or
> using the available redundant disks.
>
> Best regards,
> Gergely

It is never good when a system panics, so that is not good.
But i can not help you with that.

Be aware that the spares in FreeBSD are cold, and human intervention is
needed to replace a drive.
I think a lot of people assume that the spare drive is automaticly
beeing replaced when a disk dies.
This is not the case.
I think that the zpool command should opt a warning when adding a spare
to the pool that it is not hot.
zpool should not accept the spare without any warning to the user that
it will not automaticly replace a dead drive.

regards,
Johan