Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 16:27:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steven Lake <raiden@shell.core.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange networking problems

	HI all.  This probubly sounds like a newbie question, but I was
working with one of our servers that just went down this afternoon and
it's got me baffled.  It's not generating any error or failure messages,
yet it won't initialize the network correctly.  When you try to telnet
into sendmail or ssh from localhost the daemons jump right to life, but
you try to come across the network and the daemons laugh histerically at
you (figuratively speaking) and take forever to connect.

	I've tried reinstalling to no avail.  Same problem after the
install as before the install.  The daemons are very, very
slow starting on bootup, but you remove the nic cable and they start up
faster, but not like normal, however it fails on hostname setup.  Remove
the nic entirely and everything fires up and plays happily like nothing
was wrong.  I've tried 3 different nic cards in it and 2 do the same thing
and the 3rd refuses to be seen.  Any ideas??

	Two of the cards are kingston kne120tx 10/100tx cards.  The third
is a Linksys EtherPCI lan card 2, all are PCI.  Thing is this box was
doing awesome right up until yesterday when it started acting up.  Today
it totally refuses to move data at more than a snails pace out of the nic
card.  I've also moved the HD to another identical system and got the same
result.  Same cards mind you, but identical system, same type of hardware.
(the backup system didn't have a lan card of its own so I snagged one of
the cards in question)

	Same result.  So I'm curious where the problem might be lying.
The rc.conf file is fine.  If I disable the nic card in the rc.conf file
then the system plays happy as if no nic existed.  So my only thought is
it has to do something with the nic.  Sorry for being so long winded, but
I wanted to lay out exactly what I've done so far to troubleshoot this.

	Your help will be greatly apreciated.