Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2006 22:47:52 -0400
From:      "Tamouh H." <hakmi@rogers.com>
To:        "'User Freebsd'" <freebsd@hub.org>, "'Jerry McAllister'" <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        danial_thom@yahoo.com, 'FreeBSD Questions' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "'Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC'" <chad@shire.net>
Subject:   RE: SMP Performance (Was: Re: Are hardware vendors starting to bail ... )

> >> So don't enable SMP on a single cpu system.  Easy enough to avoid.
> >> Chad
> >
> > Why would anyone want to enable SMP on a single CPU system anyway.
>=20
> Actually, I believe all the new boot disks / ISOs are all=20
> SMP-enabled, so unless you build a custom kernel (some ppl do=20
> just run GENERIC ... I'm not one, mind you), you could be=20
> running an SMP-enabled kernel on a UP system without even=20
> knowing it ...
>=20
> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services=20
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email . scrappy@hub.org                              MSN .=20
> scrappy@hub.org
> Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

I have to put my two cents here:

1) I agree with few posters that FreeBSD performance have been lacking =
behind. I've reported few issues on performance list and many did. We =
offered few pre-production servers for performance testing, but the =
answer we keep getting is:

a. It is either your hardware sucks
b. your benchmark application sucks

2) Regarding SMP, few posts talked about disabling hyper-thread and SMP =
because it causes a performance degradation. On production hosting =
server, the experience was otherwise though. Without HT and SMP, the =
server would sky rocket in resource consumption. This has been tested on =
FBSD 5.4 i386

3) I'm also frustrated like many with the rapid advancement in release =
jumps. We barely started 5.x to conclude it does not live up to =
expectations, so now 6.x is suppoused to be the good version, yet 7.x is =
going to come out soon and probably in less than a year 6.x will be =
considered inadequate.

While I understand the development team is working hard to catch-up with =
technology and hats off to all the developers, why there is "in my =
opinion" no long term strategy for the base of the software.

Thank you,

Tamouh