Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 15:24:47 +0000
From:      Burhan Nazir <burhan@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Softupdates on root in 4.5-RELEASE

Softupdates will not write any data immediatly to the disk.  I believe
it is about 30 seconds b4 any data actually gets wriiten.  This enhances
disk write speed for certain types of operations.  However, there is a
small risk of data loss/coruption if the machine looses power b4 any data was
written.  For that reason, ppl believe that it is not a good idea to
have softupdates on the system critical root partition