Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 17:25:09 -0500
From:      Rod Taylor <rod@zort.on.ca>
To:        Akinori MUSHA aka knu <knu@idaemons.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bzip2 in src tree (Was Re: ports/16252: bsd.port.mk: Add bzip2 support for distribution patches)

On Sat, 22 Jan 2000, you wrote:
> At Sat, 22 Jan 2000 12:42:55 -0500 (EST),
> Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net> wrote:
> > A case would have to be built that bzip2 does something critical that
> > cannot be done without bzip2.  Else, it stays as a fine port.  Heck, emacs
> > is a fine port too, but it'll never get into the base system.
>
> I don't think we should compress everything with bzip2 instead of
> gzip, however, I believe we'd better have bunzip2 by default as there

When the port compressed with bzip2 is installed, the extraction mechanism is
downloaded and installed on the fly.   Thats more than enough.

Personally, I'd like to see less stuff in the system source for smaller
installs and lower compile time leaving it up to me to customize the individual
stuff thats installed.   Unless bzip is used by > 99.9% of the FreeBSD
installs, I'm willing to let it 'auto-install itself'.

--
Rod Taylor
Partner of Zort (zort.on.ca)