Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 08:30:40 +0100
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world time???/

According to Burton Sampley:
> source code from 9/11 with /usr/obj/ empty.  I'm only using the
> plain-vanilla 'make world' from /usr/src.  Any suggestion?

Add "-pipe "to CFLAGS in /etc/make.conf.
Mount /usr/src noatime.
Mount /usr/obj async,noatime.
Don't compile the profiled libraries if you don't use them.

> HD:	Seagate 15150N SCSI (~12 platters, w/ 1 meg cache)
> SCSI:	Adaptec 2940

Putting /usr/obj and /usr/src on a different disk helps a lot too.

> options		NFS			#Network Filesystem

Unless you really need NFS all time, you can get a few KB back of memory if
using it as an lkm.

> options		BOUNCE_BUFFERS		#include support for DMA bounce buffers

Throw away this. You don't need bounce buffers.

> options		FAILSAFE		#Be conservative

Unless you have a specific reason, don't use FAILSAFE.
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-CURRENT #48: Sat Nov  8 18:08:59 CET 1997