Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 16:59:54 -0700
From:      Pete Ehlke <pde@ehlke.net>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mail black lists such as ORBS/ORBZ etc

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 07:45:15PM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
> Given the increase in spam levels over the past 6 months or so, I'm
> surprised that nobody has stepped forward to fund real time black lists
> such as ORBS/ORBZ.  Why is that?
>
> Do people see them as unworthy projects?  Not worth funding?  Or is there
> just no funding available?

However you feel about the correctness of the perception, antispam
blackhole lists and thier operators have acquired a reputation as
controversial, at best. And they're lawsuit magnets.

Perhaps you've noticed that funding sources in general have become much
more attentive to sound business practices than they once were. Not many
places are going to be interested in funding ventures that are sure to
get sued into oblivion, are percieved by large segments of the public
as wackjobs, and don't stand a snowball's chance of ever being
profitable.
--
"religious fanatics are not part of my desired user base."
- djb@cr.yp.to