Date:      Fri, 15 May 1998 17:54:54 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD web pages [was: Linux as a Mozilla total reference platform]

(moved to -doc from -advocacy)

On Fri, May 15, 1998 at 02:27:51AM -0400, Malartre wrote:
> > On Fri, May 15, 1998 at 12:44:49AM -0400, Malartre wrote:
> > > FreeBSD.ORG need a change. It need to have a more conveniant
> > > interface and a WIDTH=600 is the standard. Even Linux.org and
> > > microsoft.com use it.
> > >
> > > Sorry for repeating Sue ;-) WIDTH WIDTH WIDTH!
> >
> > I still don't understand at all. Where's the problem?
> > Even at 640 x 480 it looked fine to me.
> >
> > Are you saying it is too wide or too narrow? Where?? Which page?
> >
> > What is inconvenient for you?
>
> naaa, its because than when you see it with a big screen or with a
> little, nothing is the same. So the table move like the browser want
> and its not standarized so each computer dont see the same thing.

HTML is not about layout. HTML only describes the document structure
(this is a heading, this is a paragraph, this text should be stronger).
See http://www.awpa.asn.au/html/html.html to find out what HTML is,
and what it is not.

> Also, on a big screen, big resolution, its not usefull and its ugly.

It looks fine on my big screen. Make your window smaller if you want it
narrower. It's your choice. I like to use a big screen with high
resolution and tell my browser what size I want the fonts to be. When the
browser is only on one side of the screen it is long and narrow and I
might change to smaller fonts, or I might not. If I'm not wearing glasses
I set a bigger font so that I can read it. To read quickly I turn
graphics off; to look like TV I turn them on. I can tell the browser what
colour to make the background so that it's easy to read without junk
behind the words. I have a browser that will list all of the document's
links in a panel on the left and another that displays all text the same
size. These things are *my* choice because only I know what I need.

> Like in the doc, sometime there is 30 word+ for each sentence, hard to read. Its
> really a simple standarized thing.

Yes, long sentences are difficult to read, especially if it's not in your
first language. We should all be careful of this, particularly me! :-)

> I have friends who design web page and who are currently changing all
> there big data to 600(or a little bit more) because than the document
> will be seen in the same way for each people.

It will be impossible for me to see their pages on my computer which is
set to 640x480. That computer needs to be rebooted to change resolution,
so I have no choice. I suggest you study HTML a little bit more, then
teach your friends :-) They can use cascading style sheets if they want
to control the way it looks, but the HTML underneath remains just HTML.

> Anyway, another thing should be the way we browse it. I personally love
> when I have a left menu who tel me all thing I want to see the first
> time. Not searching. Anyway, its only proposition. But you, you use
> Lynx. Its cool to but you dont care about the design ;-)

I care a lot about the design! There are good reasons why I must care.
True, most of the time I use lynx, but I also use Netscape, that
microsoft thing, Mosaic, Cello, and several others you've never heard of.
I browse web pages using a FreeBSD 386 and pentium with and without X,
NT4, NT3.50 on an alpha, win3.1 in 16 yucky colours, win95, OS/2 Warp 3
and 4, various Macintoshes, DOS on a 286 with and without graphics, and a
screen reader with speech synthesiser. I have had no serious problems
with the FreeBSD web pages, but I certainly would if attempts were made
to demand a certain width of my monitor. If you want to force something
about my equipment you have to buy that equipment for me. Go ahead :-)

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-