Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 18:19:37 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Joel Dinel <dinjo@touchtunes.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: From -RELEASE to -STABLE

Joel Dinel <dinjo@touchtunes.com> types:
> I'd like to know :
>
> * What to add/modify to my cvsup file to track -STABLE
> * How 'make world' works, and how *not* to bomb my system
> * What to expect (broken stuff perhaps ?)
> * How to keep my system (/usr/src) up to date afterwards

All the answers are in the handbook:

Personally, I recommend not fooling with the sup files at all. You can
just tweak /etc/make.conf a bit, setting:

SUP_UPDATE=     yes
SUPHOST=        cvsupFIXME.FreeBSD.org
SUP=            /usr/local/bin/cvsup
SUPFILE=        /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile
PORTSSUPFILE=   /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
DOCSUPFILE=     /usr/share/examples/cvsup/doc-supfile

then do "make update" in /usr/src to update everything. You can update
/usr/doc and /usr/ports individually with the same command in those
directories.

	<mike