Date:      Sat, 03 Jan 1998 14:52:52 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Stefan Bethke <Stefan.Bethke@Hanse.DE>
Cc:        Brian Tao <taob@nbc.netcom.ca>, FREEBSD-HACKERS <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Creating bootable Syjet install disk

> Unfortunatly, the current Makefile does not allow for building a new boot
> floppy, although it would be quite convenient to be able to do that. It
> probably would need some work to untangle the boot floppy build from the
> release build.

Which Julian tried to do at one point, but I could never make it work
for myself so I guess it just rotted.

> Another idea would be to have the mfs image saved (and put on the cd), so
> one only had to build one's custom kernel and copy that image into this
> kernel. Btw, is there a way to retroactively copy the mfs image out of the
> kernel? It seemed to me that this isn't possible. [If you don't know what

I think you could, actually.  Take a look at write_mfs_in_kernel.c - I see
no reason why you couldn't take a boot.flp, mount it, copy out /kernel,
unzip it, then run a customized version of write_mfs_in_kernel.c which
just read it out instead.

> I'm talking about, take a look at the Makefile, Jordan has put a very nice
> drawing there :-) ]

Actually, Poul-Henning gets credit for that picture.  He designed and
implemented the whole MFSKERNEL idea in the first place! ;)

					Jordan