Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 2002 18:29:34 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Daniel Flickinger <attila@hun.org>
To:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-CURRENT <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: UFS-2 partition destroyed by change

Sent: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 09:25:15 -0800 by Kirk McKusick:

| I appreciate the offer to go through the whole upgrade
| process again, but I don't think it is necessary. If there
| were going to be many anguished folks that had to go through
| it, I would have played out all the senarios and made sure
| they worked. The point of doing this change now was to fix
| problems with UFS2 before most people had deployed it. From
| here on out, I promise not to introduce major breakage :-)

    Ah, yes, programmers' promises; made a few of those
    myself (always eat crow early while it's still warm).

    Well, hopefully the destruction of one of my easily
    replacable partitions provides a window into taking
    care of the magic number failure for whomever has
    responsibility for fsck --and serves as a warning
    for the few who may have deployed UFS2.

    One of the prices of running in the fast lane is the
    occasional speed bump. Nothing ventured; nothing gained.

    However, I will wait another week to convert the rest
    of the file systems to UFS2 ... then again, maybe not!

  --
  "We have met the enemy and he is us."
	--Walt Kelly