Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 1996 09:51:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        FREEBSD-SECURITY-L <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   IPFW vs. IP Filter?

    I'm setting up a FreeBSD-based firewall here, and my original plan
was to go with IPFW in the kernel.  However, it seems there isn't any
recent documentation for it (both the man page and the handbook entry
are out of date).  IP Filter 3.0.4 (http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/)
also looks very nice, and Andrew Stesin recently recommended it here.

    Should I disable IPFW in the kernel and put IP Filter in its place
then, or can (should?) the two coexist?  My main beef is that the IPFW
documentation is rather lacking, and /usr/src/sbin/ipfw/ipfw.c isn't
helpfully commented.  Suggestions appreciated.  Thanks.
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org, taob@ican.net)
Systems and Network Administrator, Internet Canada Corp.