Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 21:47:29 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Hans Christensen <hansc@escape.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Incorrect du and df info woes...

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 07:36:26PM -0800, Hans Christensen wrote:
> Hi,
>     I'm having a problem with the filesystem as far as I can tell.
>     I have several large files in the /smb/muir/vol1/backup directory that do not seem to show up when du or df is queried. I've fsck'ed and rebooted and looked at the pertinent info and all to no avail. I'm stumped!
>     I'm running FreeBSD 4.4-Stable (FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #0: Mon Dec 10 03:31:26 PST 2001) and I'm running Samba Version 3.0-alpha13 - I found out that Samba 2.2.2 had problems... I have a Win2K box dropping 11+GB MSSQL backups into a samba share.
>     I've looked to see if I have any processes open that might keep the filesystem from seeing these .BAK files, but I figure that once I reboot, any lock should be gone.
>     Any other info that might be helpful I would be happy to provide. Has anybody got a clue for me?

The concept of "file size" can be a bit tricky. How "long" a file is
and how much disk space a file uses are not necessarily the same.

A fun example,

  $ dd of=bigfile if=/dev/zero seek=1000m count=1
  1+0 records in
  1+0 records out
  512 bytes transferred in 0.000240 secs (2132556 bytes/sec)
  $ ls -l bigfile
  -rw-r--r--  1 cjc  cjc  536870912512 Jan 29 21:44 bigfile
  $ du bigfile
  40      bigfile

Heh. Have a look at the little blurb in the handbook or FAQ (forget
which) about putting a terabyte file on a floppy for more.