Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 20:03:16 +0200
From:      Bernd Luevelsmeyer <bernd.luevelsmeyer@heitec.net>
To:        Kuzak <kuzak@kuzak.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD-ROM server

Kuzak wrote:

> I'm setting up a cdrom server that is running FreeBSD that I'm hoping will
> replace one with identical hardware running windows...  If anyone knows
> how I could accomplish the following things to make the integration easier
> please let me know...
>
> First off I'd like to have the machine boot directly to a command prompt, or
> somehow automatically login as say "user", so that the client who is using
> the server can issue mount and umount instructions without having to login
> to the machine first.. ( security of the machine not being a concern of
> course )

You can leave out the terminal's line in /etc/ttys and instead start a
shell in /etc/rc.local , for example. If you want a special user then
'su' in rc.local ought to work.

> Second, what would be the best way to grant this, or say any user on the
> machine the ability to mount and umount the cdrom drives...  sudo has been
> suggested to me, but I was just wondering if there was any way to just allow
> the user to use mount and stuff.. giving the use root  is acceptable, but not
> prefered...

Setting the sysctl variable 'vfs.usermount' to 1 should work. You can do
that in /etc/rc.local too.

> Lastly, I don't believe this is possible.. but if anyone has any ideas..
> please let
> me know.. The behavior of windows is somewhat prefered ( IE not locking the
> cdrom drives )..  Is it possible to somehow setup a crontab'd script or
> something
> that would mimic that behavior so that I would not have to put a monitor or
> keyboard
> on the system, in otherwords the client who wants to change a cd, wouldn't
> have
> to issue a umount, followed by a mount command..   I would like it if somehow
> the client was able to open the drive and change a cd, and say in the span
> of 10
> minutes or so the cd would them be accessible by the network.. If this can be
> done, please let me know.. thanks..

Perhaps it can be done with the auto mounter daemon, amd. I have never
experimented with this. That should unmount the CDROM when it's not
used, and mount it when it is used again.

Have fun,
	Bernd