Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 18:22:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   On a lighter note... how-to upgrade

I have followed the UPDATES file... and I have source-make-world
upgraded several machines from 3.3 and 3.4 to 4.0-CURRENT recently.  I
thought I'd contribute a method that is reasonably likely to work and
reasonably likely to not be going overboard.  Someone should maintain
a file like this.

(generate things needed to make kernel)
make all->install usr.sbin/config
make all->install usr.bin/genassym

(it appears that a lot of things don't work right until the new kernel
 is in place, and it can be installed first)
make 4.0 kernel
reboot with 4.0 kernel

(remember de->dc change and other device name changes.)

(you will have trouble with root not being fsck'd if you crash in here
 requiring manual intervention.  This goes away after you makedev your
 disks again.)

(bootstap compile process)
make all->install
	1) lib/libc
	2) lib/util
	3) lib/kvm and usr.bin/top (if you like to watch things run)
	4) usr.sbin/yacc
	5) gnu/usr.bin/cc

make world
cp /usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV /dev; cd /dev; MAKEDEV all std
(you might also want to MAKEDEV any disk devices that you like)
reboot

(Paranoia?)
make kernel again
make world again
reboot again

The only problem I've run into ... and it was a system that had been
source upgraded repeatedly from somewhere back around 2.2.5 ... was
that I had a /usr/local/bin/makeinfo lying around that caused trouble
for the gnu/usr.bin/cc build.

Dave.