Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 2009 22:52:07 -0800
From:      Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.ports@mailing.thruhere.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Torfinn Ingolfsen <tingox@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: cups or HPLIP - overeager notification of syslog messages

On Saturday 25 July 2009 18:51:25 Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

> Message from syslogd@kg-v2 at Jul 26 03:53:53 ...
> kg-v2 cupsd: Unable to read configuration file
> '/usr/local/etc/cups/cupsd.conf' - exiting!

> I haven't seen this problem before, and I have used cups and hplip since
> hplip was fiurst ported to FreeBSd.
> I do not know if the fault lies with HPLIP ( I suspect the systray app, b=
ut
> I have no evidence)

None of the above. Chances are cups logs this with emerg level and *.emerg =
is=20
logged to '*' in a stock syslog.conf. From syslog.conf(5):
     The action field of each line specifies the action to be taken when the
     selector field selects a message. There are five forms:

     =B7    An asterisk.  Selected messages are written to all logged-in us=
ers.

=2D-=20
Mel