Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 18:31:14 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AHC: "cheksum error" reading SEEPROM with Iwill PIILS mb

In article <356D9CF8.1E7667F5@we.lc.ehu.es> you wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just purchased a new system for running FreeBSD. It is
> based on the Iwill PIILS motherboard, which uses the 440LX
> chipset and includes an Adaptec 7880 SCSI controller.
> I'm running FreeBSD-stable now, but I have found a problem
> related to SCSI:
>
> When the AHC driver tries to read the 7880's SEEPROM, the operation
> fails with a "cheksum error".

This is because your system does not have a serial eeprom attached
the the aic7880.  The only way the driver can determine this is
by attempting to read it and to perform a checksum comparison.  If
a serial eeprom is not found, the driver is smart enough to pull the
"left over BIOS settings" off the chip and use them.

--
Justin