Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 1997 21:51:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
To:        Adam David <adam@veda.is>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pppd ?? do we have a maintainer ??

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Adam David wrote:

> I've not found a way of tricking it into accepting an "instant" login from
> a Windows box yet though, in cooperation with getty.

That's actually really easy.  First of all, add some entries in gettytab:

ppp.57600|57600-baud:\
        :np:sp#57600:pp=/usr/local/libexec/ppplogin:
ppp.115200|115200-baud:\
        :np:sp#115200:pp=/usr/local/libexec/ppplogin:

then create a script in /usr/local/libexec called ppplogin.  It can be
really simple....

#! /bin/sh -

stty crtscts
exec /usr/sbin/pppd auth login +pap

Or, it can be more complex, depending on your needs.

The only thing it is really lacking right now, IMHO, is a way to *cleanly*
allow certain users to have their own static IP number, while everyone
else gets a specific IP per ttyd they are on.

Right now, I'm smooshing it by forcing all auto-logins (windows, whatever)
though getty and the script to use the IP number based on the tty, and the
couple priveledged users have to log in and exec pppd, which is owned by
group pppds, to which those priveledged users belong, and only those users
can exec...  Then you just make a .ppprc file in their home directory,
r/w able only by root with a :theiraddress line in it, and all they have
to do is log in and type pppd.

It works, but it's kludgy.  Static IP users can't auto-login from Windows,
and others can't log in via a script and hit pppd, but so far neither has
been a problem. :)

Later......						<Doug>