Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 1998 14:24:36 -0600
From:      William McVey <wam@sa.fedex.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Would this make FreeBSD more secure?

Nate Williams wrote:
>> I still think that it is a lot of effort for just one or two
>> programs.  xlock and xlockmore (basically the same program) are the
>> only two programs that I'm aware of that need to access the password
>> file and not change the uid of the process.  Where are the rest of the
>> half dozen :-)...

screen is one... (although screen has lots of other features which like to
be setuid as well).  Again, a lot of the needs for setuid root access for
top can be caught with group permissions and ptyd (previously mentioned
relating to xterm).

>The other issue is since they will no longer be setuid(), someone can
>crash them and get the passwd file from them to crack later or we'd have
>to change all of the 'don't dump core' code to look for setgid(passwd)
>stuff.  All of a sudden this 'simple fix' gets to be obnoxious and isn't
>buying us a whole lot.

The program will still be setgid, so the check in the core dump routine
(/usr/src/sys/kern/kern_sig.c) which looks at processes' option flags
for P_SUGID would still result in the same behavior as it had when it
was setuid.  If it didn't, this would be a security bug in the core dump
routine, as all setgid programs (ala top) would suffer from the same problem
as you described.

>Setuid is *NOT* evil in all cases, you simply must be careful.

Not in all cases.  But in cases where setgid access and appropriate
group permissions suffice, I would prefer to give out limited privilege
than  the universal privilege a setuid root program gets.

>The fact
>of the matter is *some* programs must have root priviledges to do their
>job securely and/or at all.

Some do.  A lot don't.  I'm an advocate of not giving root privs out unless
it is absolutely necessary.

 -- William