Date:      Sat, 21 Oct 1995 12:00:10 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ISDN: Sync vs Async. Was: Bragging rights..

>> If you can get an extras $50 or $100 a month the price of the card is
>> recovered quite quickly. and since the smart sync uses less CPU at the hub,
>
>Yes, but most customers groan at the thought of yet another recurring fee...
>which is why this is a point _against_ sync, rather than _for_ it.
>
>Most places are looking for economical solutions.  If they have to purchase
>a sync card that will cost them more and they may potentially have zero use
>for in a few months when they decide the Internet thing isn't for them, AND
>they have to pay higher fees to utilize it, what do you think they will do?

First of all, you need to be a better marketeer, Joe. First you make it a
trade-up option,
not the default. Sure you can tech-talk the layman
into almost anything, but you have FACTS to work with here. Second of all,
you are simply lucky
that the  average joe doesn't know that you're cheating them by giving them 30%
less bandwidth then they think. You'd be surprise how many customers you'll get
when you tell them that your competitors are ripping them off. Ride the wave for
now, and hope that your competitors don't figure it out first.....

Personally, I would gladly pay an extra $50. a month for a 30% increase in
bandwidth.
Of course, I wouldn't buy ISDN for any amount......

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25