Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 1997 18:07:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gilles Boccon-Gibod <gilles@opentv.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   HELP ! (boot info)

I have a problem:

I installed FreeBSD on my 2nd SCSI drive in a machine that has 2 IDE and
2 SCSI drive.

I use LILO or the IBM OS Loader to boot from the SCSI drive. At this
point, I get the FreeBSD boot prompt. If I press enter, it boots the
kernel, and then it fails to mount the / partition, because it thinks it
is on sd3a, where in fact it is on sd1a
To get it to work, I have to enter:

3:sd(1,a)

at the boot prompt.

The question is: why does it get confused about the ID of the disk it
booted from (it think it booted from sd(3,a) ), and how can I modify
something so that it will do the right thing without me having to enter
'3:sd(1,a)' at the boot prompt every time I want to boot ?

PS: I have the same problem with NetBSD...

PS2: the machine has an ASUS P55T2P4 motherboard with an NCR SCSI
conroler (and SCSI BIOS).

Thanks for any info.

          /  ) (  \    Oooo. |Gilles Boccon-Gibod    | gilles@opentv.com
.oooO    /  /   \  \   (   ) |3401-A Hillview Avenue | bok@bok.net
(   )   /  (     )  \   ) /  |Palo Alto, CA 94304    | +1 415 849 5583
  \_)   oooO0   0Oooo        | Hop, et Hop, et Hop, et dans le baba.