Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 1998 17:12:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Randy Katz <randyk@ccsales.com>
To:        bsd account <bsd@smmcroute.smmc.qld.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP!...starting a DNS

DNS has nothing to do with gateway. Gateway refers to whether this
machine will route packets (routing). DNS has to do with looking up an IP
address from the domain name.

You can run DNS on a machine that is either a gateway or not a gateway.

You need to read some of the stuff at www.dns.net so you can get an idea
of the overall structure the DNS files take and how the named daemon is
started. Also read the BSD Handbook about how the named daemon is started.

Thanx,
Randy Katz

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, bsd account wrote:

> Hi foks,
> I've  erad some FAQs & handbook but I can't see the steps I need to
> implement a DNS on this machine. Do I ...
> a) in RC.conf set    1) gateway = YES
> 		     2) then what ?
>
> b) I have the /etc/named directory on floppy from my old machine
> which an ISP set up  with DNS / Routing Gateway enebled.
> Do I simply copy it to my new machine? It came from a 2.1.5 FBSD
> And This new one Im setting up is 2.2.2
>
> Thanks...Keith spencer
> Townsville australia

RAK

Randy A. Katz
Computer Consultation & Sales
505 S. Beverly Drive, Suite 472			       Beverly Hills, CA  90212
(213) 307-9581					       http://www.ccsales.com