Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 21:12:21 -0500
From:      Brent Verner <brent@rcfile.org>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk14 in port format ?

[2003-02-19 21:46] The Hermit Hacker said:

| Hi ...
|
|   Has anyone done a port of this that can be downloaded?  I realize that
| jdk14 is 'in development', but I've got a problem with linux-sun-jdk14
| that I'd like to see if the native version corrects, and if I could
| download a tar of a port "structure" and install it like a port (with
| suitable deinstall capabilities), that would make it alot easier to back
| it out afterwards ...

Hi Marc.

  Greg (Lewis) has mentioned creating a real port, but if you are in
a hurry and can deal with a little manual cleanup with deinstall[1],
give this a shot.

  http://www.rcfile.org/~brent/jdk14/jdk14-bsd.tar.gz

  Creates a package named jdk-1.4.1-bsd-p2 that installs to
/usr/local/jdk1.4.1-bsd.

  I've used this for installs on 4.7-stable and 5.0-current systems
with success.  Please note that the Makefile expects the patchset
in zip format.  You can easily convert the downloaded patchset
tarball to zip with
# (A=`mktemp -d -t /tmp`; cd $A; tar zxvf /usr/ports/distfiles/bsd-jdk14-patches-2.tar.gz; zip /usr/ports/distfiles/bsd-jdk14-patches-2.zip *; cd ..; rm -rf $A)

cheers.
  brent

[1] pkg-plist is not up to date, so it leaves some files behind
    on deinstall... color me lazy :-)

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman