Date:      Thu, 3 Sep 1998 23:33:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Vondrasek <david@stumbleinn.dyn.ml.org>
To:        Slyce <slyce@onramp.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cannot ping myself after dialup...

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Slyce wrote:

> Why am I unable to PING myself(my IP) after login to my ISP via Kernel
> PPP??? I need to be able to telnet to my site from work, but I can't
> even PING myself.... I'm hoping this doesn't require a static IP with
> FreeBSD...

If you have the normal dialup account to an ISP you have a DYNAMIC IP
meaning it changes with each connection. How are you getting the IP you
are dialed into with the fbsd box ? I do the same thing at home. I have my
bsd box dial in and I have a script that send me email with my IP address
on connection, I also run a domain from ml.org that I update after each
connection. and I just telnet to that address. If your IP changes and you
have no way to find the IP you will need a STATIC/DEDICATED dial-up to
keep the IP the same.

Dave

dlv@watertower.com