Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 2000 01:26:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        Anthony J Knapp <knapp.betton@virgin.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: beginners with bsd

Wow, as a true newcomer to computers I'd say FreeBSD would be quite a
stretch (How'd you find us? :)

But it could be done if you were willing to be patient enough.
In exchange for a tough learning curve at the start you would be rewarded
with a very powerful, stable system.

I might get flak for saying this but I think you should get a macintosh
with MacOS X on it.  It will be very easy to use but will have a FreeBSD
like core under the hood.

comments below also

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Anthony J Knapp wrote:

> Help, please!
> As a newcomer to any kind of computing, and as one who'd like to get
> away from Windows, what is the easiest way to start with Freebsd?

Well, install it first.  Maybe get a computer savvy friend to install it
for you.  Or buy a system that has it already on it.  Once it is installed
if you use one of the desktops like KDE or GNOME you should be ok

> I've tried to trace a plain English book on the subject without success.

There are two:  "The Complete FreeBSD" by Lehey
and the "FreeBSD Handbook"

> Is Freebsd suitable for beginners?  Could I run the normal
> wordprocessing, database, and spreadsheet applications with it?

You wouldn't be able to run the applications that everybody else
(Windows) uses, but there are such applications for FreeBSD.

> Thanks,
>

> Tony Knapp (membership no 20001001)

	I commend your courage.  If you really poured through those books
and the website (www.freebsd.org) you might just be able to do it.  Good
luck.  It would be a worthy adventure.

						Tim