Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2000 18:16:55 -0500
From:      Andrey Mavrichev <mavrichev@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   shell

Hi!

I have installed a FreeBSD on my computer two days ago, and I am new at
this. While attempting to change the shell (from csh to tcsh) that is
loaded for root, I made a mistake. I used the "vipw" command, and
accidently typed "kcsh" instead of "tcsh" (a stupid mistake, I know). I
realized this only after I saved and rebooted the system - and it was
too late. I do not have any other users through which I can get into the
system, and logging as a root only gives an error message that it can't
find the "kcsh" shell. I tried the installation boot floppies to get
into the setup utility, but this didn't work.

Can you suggest any methods other than re-installation of the system
that can be used to start the proper shell and correct the mistake? Are
there any login commands or options that can be used to start a shell,
or is there any way to get into the set-up utility?

Thank you for your time,
next time I'll try to be more careful,

Andrey.

mavrichev@yahoo.com