Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 09:27:28 -0600
From:      Peter <fbsdq@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Networking slow -- lots of collision with win95 box.

FreeBSD 4.3-S cvsupped about 3 days ago -- fresh install.

two win95 boxes -- connected via netbios running netbios/netbuie/ipxspx/tcp/ip
box A holds all MP3's  box B can play any MP3 via windows share -- mp3's do not skip.
Looking at hub, no collisions.

I boot box A into FreeBSD mount windows -- share it via Samba --
Try to play mp3's on box B -- the collision light just goes on and for all practical purposes
just stays on -- MP3's skip all over the place.  So I figure maybe the fat32 mount is slow --
copy music.mp3 [and also music.wav] into /tmp -- share that via samba -- still skips --
lost of collisions.

Both pcs = linksys lne100tx [Linksys 100/10 mbits cards both are exactly same, hub == linksys]

on FreeBSD
dc0 shows as running at 100/ Full Duplex
On windows it's auto sense -- I tried changing that to 100 Full Duplex and the network died
so It's back to auto sense [Its running @ 100mbits -- not sure about full/half duplex --
not sure how to find out under win95]

I ftp from windows box to FreeBSD box and d/l huge file [60 MB .wav file as binary]
transfer is about 512 Kbytes/sec [sorry forgot to look at collision rate for that ]
[is that slow/normal/ I need to go buy me a 3com or Intel NIC ? ]

So what exactly is causing all those collisions that is causing my mp3's to skip -- this only
happens between freebsd and win95 -- Is it Samba's fault? FreeBSD's fault? Win's fault?
[going to try same thing via NFS today with both boxes booted into FreeBSD---]
Would a box @ 100/full and other @ 100/half cause all those collision?

Anyone ever experience this sort of problem?  Or has anyone had any major
network perfomance issues with Samba?  Does Linksys make good/bad cards/hubs?

I'm trying to fully gain peak performance before I finally nuke win95 on this box.
[Basically making FreeBSD box the server for win95 box -- can't have that if mp3's
skip while playing :) ]

Mac: 'You cannot delete this system file'
Windows: 'Are you sure you want to delete this system file?'
Unix: 'Ooops, you fu**ed up'

www.nul.cjb.net
www.FreeBSD.org