Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 1998 18:08:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        ache@nagual.pp.ru, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd.port.mk patch for review

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Satoshi Asami wrote:

>  * -b works differently between this two versions.
>  *
>  * In case you want the same bsd.port.mk in both -current and -stable,
>  * some trick must be used to detect patch version, maybe
>  * 'patch --version' call or just simple -current detection,
>  * or adding PATCHFLAGS to sys.mk, etc.
>
> We can have different bsd.port.mk for -current and 2.2, but I'd like
> to avoid that.

Even if the appropriate patch flag is merged into 2.2.5-stable,
you'll need to include a patch binary in _all_ future
222upgrade-9#.##.## files.

> Yes, we can certainly fix this in bsd.port.mk but I think this just
> illustrates that it's patch that really needs to be fixed.  Can we
> tell POSIX to go fsck itself and make patch work the same on all
> versions of FreeBSD?

I've always suspected that GNU has the right idea with their
POSIX_ME_HARDER.  I've not heard a single argument in favour of
not always making .orig files.  I think that sometimes a history
of non-standardization has scared us into over-standardization.

There can't be more than one or two application which could ever
really depend on the non-creation of .orig files, but the same
non-creation could turn into a daily nuisance (or
yet-another-dumb-shell-alias).

<shrug>

--
 tIM...HOEk
OPTIMIZATION: the process of using many one-letter variables names