Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 13:09:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>, Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: New host key for freefall!

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Wes Peters wrote:

> > Now to address Wes's point: I don't believe SSH1 can do certification,
> > although I don't know about SSH2.
>
> Oh, I was referrering to certificates for sending S/MIME email.

In theory PKI can do everything [*]: S/MIME email, PGP signatures, signed
SSH hostkeys so you don't have to explicitly verify the new key through
out-of-band trusted channels, SSL certificates for secure web services,
etc. In theory these formats should all be pretty inter-convertible, since
they all contain "enough crypto" (packaged in different ways) to make a
decent protocol happy.

> I'm not sure we'll be doing a large enough volume to warrant paying money
> for CA services.  I guess we'd have to work out a plan for what classes
> of persons and/or positions we plan to issue keys/certs to in order to
> answer that question.  If we're talking about a CA cert, a cert for each
> of the "hats", and a cert for each committer individually, that means
> right now we'd need to manage about 210 certs, of which 5 or 6 need to
> be transferrable.

The point of a PKI is that you can have a *single* trusted root
certificate with all others signed by that one in a hierarchy. In order to
root the tree in something which (e.g.) Netscape browsers will
automatically understand, we'd need to have at least one key signed by a
commercial CA (Verisign, Thawte, ..) which is used as the basis for the
FreeBSD PKI, but there's no inherent need for more than one "purchased"
certificate.

> Plus, I really like the idea of a cert with "The FreeBSD Project" as the
> CA.  Are we not the most reliable source of information about FreeBSD?

Certified signatures are not about verifying the information content of
data, it's about verifying the integrity of the message and the
authenticity of the signing key.

Kris

[*] See however http://www.counterpane.com/pki-risks.html

----