Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 1996 09:51:25 -0400
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        csugrad.cs.vt.edu!sbuck@dg-rtp.dg.com, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: soundcard question

> Is there a way to get the Ensoniq Soundscape Soundcard working under
> FreeBSD 2.0.5.  I've tried recompiling the kernel with several different
> configurations.  It is Soundblaster compatible but it is not recognized.
> After a time I found it is recognized as Microsoft Sound System
> Compatible, but when I try running s3mod to play a mod fiole of mine I
> get the error "Soundcard: sequencer not initilized"  What exactly does
> this mean?  Thanks for any help.

 If this is a plug-and-play card; you probably have to do what
I do.

 Plug-and-Play card's don't retain their settings after a cold-boot.

 So, to get my sound card working; I have a little DOS floppy I
boot from, that runs the sound card's setup program.  Then, I do
a warm boot (CNTL-ALT-DEL) to boot up FreeBSD.  At that point,
FreeBSD recognizes the sound card as a "normal" sound-blaster Pro, and
everything works fine.

 I think some people are working on getting Plug-and-Play into
FreeBSD... is that true?

	- Dave Rivers -