Date:      Fri, 9 Oct 1998 16:52:35 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mark Cockrum <n9842643@cc.wwu.edu>, dc-stuff@dis.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP/IP books

On Thursday,  8 October 1998 at 21:52:19 -0700, Mark Cockrum wrote:

> I'm a college student who just installed a copy of FreeBSD that
> got at Defcon this summer.  I have a copy of The Complete FreeBSD
> by Greg Lehey, and I am starting to feel "somewhat" comfortable
> witht the operating system.

Glad to hear it.

> Greg's book goes somewhat in depht about TCP/IP, but i'm looking
> for a book to contuning to learning about TCP/IP networks and
> the security issues present in them.  I noticed on defcon.org
> a few books, namely TCP/IP illustrated vol. 1,2,3, Pratical
> UNIX and internet security by Garfinkel and Spafford, and TCP/IP
> network adminastration by Craig Hunt.

You'll note that I mention Craig's book in the bibliography.  I think
it's one of the best practical books on the subject.

> I'm hopeing for a book that can tie in TCP/IP security issues well
> with UNIX (and namely FreeBSD) enviroments.  (i.e. none of that
> WinNT bullshit.)  Keep in mind I don't know a great deal about UNIX
> or TCP/IP (well, i got PPP to work in FreeBSD) so the book can't be
> to top-heavy.

Security issues are a problem in more than the obvious sense: until
recently, people didn't worry about them, so there's not much
available.  I have a copy of Grafinkle and Spalford "Practical UNIX
and Internet Security"  (O'Reilly), but I haven't read enough of it to
venture an opinion.

Greg