Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:07:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ache@nagual.pp.ru
Cc:        colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk
Subject:   Re: What to do about nologin(8)?

On 27 Feb, Andrey Chernov wrote:

> As I already say many times, this is not nologin problem, repeat, no
> problem with nologin, _all_ 3rd party shells and scripts suffer because of
> this, it should be fixed in the caller, not in the shell.

This isn't a problem in the case of interactive shells, or if you think
it is a problem, it isn't fixable by modifying login to sanitize the
environment.

If my shell is /bin/sh (or whatever), anything evil that I might be able
to do by getting login -p to pass LD_PRELOAD to my shell I can just as
easily do by logging in interactively and running
	env LD_PRELOAD=whatever /bin/sh