Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 2002 22:09:21 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Sergey Mokryshev <mokr@mokr.net>
To:        Mike Makonnen <mtm@identd.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rc_ng breakage introduced with src/etc/rc.d/Makefile 1.5

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Mike Makonnen wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 01:31:26AM +0300, Sergey Mokryshev wrote:
> [ snip ]
> >
> > ldconfig does not have proper anchor and is mistakenly ordered to run
> > first (without any filesystems mounted (except R/O root) yet).
>
> This is a good example of why I didn't support the removal of the NetBSD
> scripts when it was done. However, I can also understand Gordon't point
> of view and why he removed them: namely, because of rc.d bloat, confusing users,
> and the implied suggestion that we support those scripts on our platform (correct
> me if I'm wrong Gordon).
>

> > * So I'm complaining mostly about removing files without fixing
> > dependencies in the remaining scripts *
> >
> > Probably the best solution is to backout rev 1.5 of
> > src/etc/rc.d/Makefile. It was tested before 5.0-DP2 and it just
> > works.
>
> The dependencies are fine for the default order. I don't think there
> was any implicit or explicit guarantee that if you changed the order things
> wouldn't break. For your particular situation I think the following will
> give the desired order:
> 1. Leave rc.d/named alone
> 2. Modify rc.d/ldconfig :
>         # REQUIRE: SERVERS
>         # BEFORE: named

Mike, I have no problem myself, I've already done this (a similar one) change.
(Anyway, thank you :-) )

I'm keeping in mind new users and upgrades from FreeBSD4 when 5.0
become -RELEASE and -STABLE? The rc_ng scripts is left in useful, but
unstable state, there are many possibilities that someone will hit the
same problem.

May be we should put some of the scripts back? At least I'd prefer to
put back every script with a cross-reference.

The other solution is to rework every rc.d script and change
references of the missing ones.

Leaving scripts the way it is now is not a good thing (Just a MHO).

Sincerely yours,
Sergey Mokryshev.
--
Sergey S. Mokryshev <mokr@mokr.net>