Date:      Tue,  9 Jul 96  1:38:40 +0000
From:      Andrew.Gordon@net-tel.co.uk
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re(2): CD distribution layout vs FTP distribution layout.

> > I've always done local ftp installs with an absolute path, but putting
> > in two slashes:
> >
> >   ftp://hostname//absolute/path
> >
> > That's always worked for me.
>
> Right, THAT works and always has since I figure in the case of two
> //'s, the user knows exactly what he/she's doing. :-)
>
>                                                 Jordan

It always used to work for me, but appeared to have stopped working with the most recent CD I have received (the 960501-SNAP).  I couldn't find any combination of URL which would allow an install direct from the CD mounted on a remote machine.  Previously (2.0.5, 2.1R etc.) it always seemed to work OK if a trailing slash was used as well, eg.

ftp://hostname//cdrom/
                    ^^^
with the 960501 CD, no combination of URL appeared to load both the root image and the dists successfully.

Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <https://mail-archive.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?"2422-960709014148-EDE5*/G=Andrew/S=Gordon/O=NET-TEL Computer Systems Ltd/PRMD=NET-TEL/ADMD=Gold 400/C=GB/">