Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 17:16:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenny Drobnack <kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu>
To:        William Melanson <wjm@gate.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about the mascot

I am a Christian, and do not find the daemon mascot offensive in the
least. And I came from the DOS/Windows environment, so I had no idea what
the daemon was.  In fact, I got some funny looks at my Christian college
when i started talking about "demons" running in my computer. Some people
laughed and said "Windows sure seems like that sometimes".
	maybe we should have a disclaimer or something "FreeBSD is not
satanic. This is a daemon, a helpful spiritual being, kind of like an
angel." Of course, people don't read README files, much less
disclaimers...
	I do kind of like the idea of having some versions of things
(T-shits, stickers, the CD's) without the mascot.  Of course, still keep
the ones with. That way, if the little devil on their software package
really bothers someone, they can get the one that doesn't have him.