Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 23:03:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: two routers back to back: Do they need real ip-adresses?

Leif Neland recently said:
> We had to put in a cisco 1605 router (with 2 ethernet ports) between our
> net and our isp supplying our backbone connection.

> The "ethernet", which is only a crossed 10BT cable between the two
> routers, does it need real ip adresses?
>

>              +-----------+      +-----------+     +----+  -----
>  --our net---+ E0     E1 +------+ E0     S0 |-----+    |   \
>    3C's      |   1605    |  	|   100x    |     |    +----
>              +-----------+   ^  +-----------+	  +----+
>                      Can I use 192.168.1.0-adresses here?
> 	             Or even unnumbered ip?

As long as both routers know about the other and it is an ethernet
connection - just hook them together.  I did that in the process of
moving 4 C's from one provider to another. It made it convenient
and then I could upgrade the IOS on the first.

> Our uplink isp wants us to subnet one of our C's in a /30, is this
> really nessecary?

That's typically the address of the serial port.   A /30 gives a
four address range.  The network number, 2 IPS, and a broadcast
number.   The ones I've seen have the ISP as the lower of the two
addresses and the client as the upper of the two.   These normally
are not part of your address space.

The only time I did that in our address space was when I remoted
another router over a T1 - and had to pull the addresses to use
from our name-space.

There might be other ways to do this - as I'm still a newbie at
networking.