Date:      Thu, 2 Apr 1998 15:40:22 -0300 (EST)
From:      Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade <paulo@main.fiscodata.com.br>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X11 fonts...

-> From: Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
-> Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 15:59:46 +0200 (MET DST)
->
-> So i wonder:
-> 1) am i the only one who does not use the scalable ghostscript fonts
->    with the X server ?
  I don't have a printer, but I think 'gv' is good enough for reading
docs; ghostview does not show the text well enough.

-> 2) is there any disadvantage (performance ?) in replacing bitmapped
->    fonts with the corresponding Type1 ones ? (or perhaps the server
->    is already smart enough to use bitmapped fonts if available for
->    a given size, and resort to scalable ones only if the former
->    are not available ?
  I think the server will use the first font it finds in the font path.
There is an option in XF86Config, that is to add the string ":unscaled"
to the end of a font path, so one can add the same font path twice. Like:
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"

-> 3) Does anyone have the knowledge to write up a small script to make the
->    X server use other fonts that might be available on the system (e.g.
->    ghostscript, TeX, etc.) ?
  Other font formats I don't know. I have played a bit with the font paths,
and could not find a better configuration than the one XF86Setup left in
the XF86Config. There is at least one collection of free fonts for X.

->    Unfortunately i don't know enough about this, but it does not look
->    too hard for X programmers.
  I don't have enough knowledge to write a X extension (and add more
bloating to a font specification), but at the client side I know it is
not too hard to add antialiased/multi-colored fonts, but then, only your
program will be able to use it.
  Creating bitmaped unscaled fonts at several sizes should be easy, but
would require a lot of time of graphical artists.

[ I'm putting my efforts in my free time (for about 2 years now) in building
  a free 'cool' Xt based toolkit (and never found references of other people
  working on something like it for FreeBSD, like de kde, gnome, gtk,
  enlightenment, etc for linux) ]