Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 2003 05:42:59 -0800
From:      David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        David Leimbach <leimy2k@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Just" building the lib part of world

Thus spake David Leimbach <leimy2k@mac.com>:
> Or even better would be just building libc.  I have been working on my
> getpwnam_r assignment...
> examining implementations in both Darwin and NetBSD and started trying
> to implement some of
> this code for FreeBSD... Its not anywhere even near the goal in sight
> as I am still learning the
> build system.
>
> Do I always have to build world or can I get away with just making some
> subdirectories?  If so
> what is the best way to do this?
>
> Rebuilding gcc each time I just want to test out my code is a real drag
> :)

Try:

	cd src/lib/libc && make && make install

That will remake any modified files in libc and install libc.  You
can remake all files by doing a 'make clean' first.  Note that if
you have not previously populated an object directory (e.g. with
'make world', the object files will be placed in src/lib/libc.

You may also want to try

	make -DNOCLEAN buildworld

which recompiles only the sources that have changed and things
that depend on them.

Keep in mind that the well-documented approach is conservative to
prevent people from shooting themselves in the foot, so you need
to be careful.  For instance, if your libc changes break ABI
compatability, you could screw yourself over with the approach above.