Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 19:43:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FIXED -->  Thanks! Re: ep0 eeprom failed to come ready...

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000, Mitsuru IWASAKI wrote:
> How about installation process?  Currently our kernel in installer
> doesn't have sound card drivers, that mean we probably unable to use
> ep during installation on such box.  In this case, only user knows
> actual configuraion and tell it to kernel by UserConfig, but the PnP
> system doesn't.

Ah.  So what we really want is some mechanism to tell the kernel 'hey,
you!  don't use this ioport/irq whatever.' (or otherwise mark some
resources as not being available to PnP devices.)

> > Go for it.  Their 3c509 support is worse than ours.
>
> I know, just kidding :-) The ep driver have become elegant by your
> efforts.

I'm pretty close to a solution for the 'ie' driver and the 'ex' driver
already shares the honor of not using implicit kernel settings to
configure cards; if I have my way, very few boards will have user
configurable settings.  Driver specific workarounds aren't going to cut it
so we'll have to figure out how to do the above at some point.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |