Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 21:51:54 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov (Guy Helmer), root@nussi.ml.org, FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bug ?

> > > 1. why i cant remove a user with big letters ?
> > >    e.g. i cant delete "Nussi" because its not alphanummeric
> > >         but i can delete "nussi" ...
> > >    what can i do to remove a user without "rmuser" ?
> > >    i really need this and when its not possible to remove names
> > >    with big letters i must change back to Linux :(
> >
> > Hmm, that's a simple change (I wonder why this hasn't come up before?).
>
> Because, as pointed out in 'man adduser,'
>
> RESTRICTIONS
>      username
>              Login name. May contain only  lowercase characters or digits.
>                                            ^^^^^^^^^

This is for hysterical (sorry, historical) reasons -- back in
the days when lots of people had terminals that only did
UPPERCASE, Unix was kind enough to do free conversions for them,
since Unix needs lower case for lots of ordinary stuff.  The way
this was arranged was by the simple expedient of declaring that
the conversion was to be applied if a login name was typed in
upper case.  This meant that there was no way of actually
logging in with an upper case name.

> You should not have uppercase characters in a username in the first
> place. I personally like the sarcasm in there.

If FreeBSD still does this case conversion stuff, it's time to
drop it since nobody needs to login from such a device now.  If
it doesn't, then this advice is now wrong.  (I haven't checked
what it does -- I don't care myself, since I only use and allow
lower case names because that's the way I like things.)

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>