Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 1996 20:45:59 +1000
From:      Stephen Hocking <sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help! Disabling PCI devices or changing root dev from boot prompt

I've been caught in the embarrassing situation of having a machine that has
both an internal Adaptec 7880 controller (on the PCI bus) & a 2940 controller.
FreeBSD was installed when the machine had only the internal controller & saw
it as ahc1. Now that the secondary controller has been added, it sees it as
ahc0, gets the disks off it 1st and fails when it attempts to mount root of
the first disk on the ahc0 chain. All would be hunky dory if I could disable
ahc0 from the boot prompt or automagically change which disk it looks at for
its root partition.

I can't pull the controller out, not even temporarily (its prime purpose in
life is to run UnixWare & Ingres for a largish DB). It's a box with dual
166MHz pentiums, 128Mb of memory & 7 x 2Gb disks, so you can understand why
I'm rather keen to give FreeBSD a good workout, plus run the rather well-known
game quake^H^H^H^H^H^H video tester at high resolutions. Anyone have any ideas?

	Stephen
--
The views expressed above are not those of the Worker's Compensation Board of
Queensland, Australia.